Date posted: 14 October 2020
US Midwest Sales Representative – Scientific Instrumentation
Location: Greater Chicago Area
Travel required: Often
Role Description & Responsibilities
Surface Measurement Systems (www.surfacemeasurementsystems.com) manufactures state-of-the-art laboratory instrumentation for particulate solids characterization based on sorption science. Our products are sold worldwide into leading R&D industrial laboratories as well as government and university environments. We are the technology market leader for our sector and combine innovative scientific instrumentation with scientific excellence.
Our continued growth has created new openings for a sales staff to join an established, successful sales team and to take multi-state regional sales responsibilities’. This is an opportunity to join a multi-disciplined team environment introducing new products and developing new market opportunities, with the potential to advance at a personal level. The sales territory will consist of the midwestern region of the United States. Ideally, the position will be based out of the greater Chicago area or other centrally located area. States included in this territory include: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky.
You will be promoting SMS products to pharmaceutical, polymer, chemical, construction materials, packaging, nano-materials, bio/medical materials and defence markets, selling our research products to the scientific community across these defined markets.
Field visits to customers, potential customers as well as exhibitions and meetings means that successful applicants should plan on a minimum of 50-75% travel. Flexibility of schedule to meet changing deadlines including the ability and willingness to travel is important.
Skills and Experience
- 4-year college degree in science or engineering, preferably materials science, chemical engineering, chemistry, or a related area.
- Knowledge of the scientific instrumentation industry such as thermal methods, chemical spectroscopy, particle characterization, polymer characterization, surface chemistry or food characterization. An understanding of physical chemistry would be highly advantageous.
- Proven track record within a scientific sales environment with the past current three years having been spent in direct field sales with high value capital goods.
- Self-starter, target-oriented and thriving on success with proven ability to follow through on tasks and plans including the ability to work unsupervised
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a confident presentational style
- Ability to produce and adhere to monthly sales report deadlines.
- Sales staff with a consultative sales approach and a mature attitude should apply.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills with a desire to develop personal and professional abilities. Ability to work well with all levels of personnel.
This position has an attractive starting base salary and an incentive package that offers realistic potential for longer term stability and growth. Total compensation is comprised of a base salary plus commissions tied to sales volume. Benefits package including medical, vision and dental insurance, life insurance and IRA. Opportunities exist for career development in a growing international company.
Interested individuals should send CV with the job title “US Midwest Sales Representative” as the subject line to [email protected] or click Apply below.